The Personal Fitness Merit Badge process is beginning for Troop 42. It is an Eagle Scout Requirement Badge so I encourage all to participate. Please read this entire email.
Among the requirements are:
- A 12 week recorded and tracked fitness program
- A fully completed Annual Medical Form (If not already completed).
Prior to starting the Personal Fitness Merit Badge, each candidate must do the following:
- Before completing any other requirements, you must have turned in your Annual Scout medical examination form. If this form has not been updated by your doctor and parent in the last 12 months and turned in to the troop, then you must do that prior to participating in the Personal Fitness Merit Badge program. This includes parts A, B, and C, not just A and C. I have attached the form if you need it.
- After the exam, you must describe the examination to the merit badge counselor. Tell what questions the doctor asked about your health. Tell what health or medical recommendations the doctor made and report what you have done in response to the recommendations.
Also, explain the following:
- Why physical exams are important
- Why preventative habits (such as exercising regularly) are important in maintaining good health, and how the use of tobacco products, alcohol, and other harmful substances can negatively affect our personal fitness.
- Diseases that can be prevented and how
- The seven warning signs of cancer
- The youth risk factors that affect cardiovascular fitness in adulthood
- Have a dental examination. Get a statement saying that your teeth have been checked and cared for. Tell how to care for your teeth.
This time will also give everyone a chance to purchase the updated Personal Fitness Merit Badge booklet at the Scouting store.
We will have our kick-off meeting in January. Until then, please bring your medical paperwork completely up-to-date and turn it in so that you do not start-off behind come January.